Tuesday, August 26, 2014

DerbyCon 4.0 - "Family Rootz"

So this last week I was notified that I was accepted to speak at DerbyCon 4.0 - talk about diametrically opposed emotions.  I am excited and humbled at the same time for being accepted to present.

The reality of being accepted has set in and I've had the opportunity to share with those outside the industry what an honor it is to be accepted to publicly present ones efforts and the feedback that will ultimately grow the source material.  

I had started kicking around the idea several years ago to build out a "business value" capability using a variety of open source tools and sources for identifying Internet borne threats that organizations the world over face on a regular basis.  Building what I had to (I glue and duct tape, I do not code/develop professionally) to bridge where needed.  What I've ended up doing was quite eye opening and (for me) extremely fun.  I've got to meet some really cool folks and do some really cool things since I started working on the nuts and bolts of the program as a whole.

While sites like the Norse Live Attack Intelligence or FireEye's Threat Map offer great "eye candy" - they do very little in the ways beyond introducing you, the practitioner, to buy an additional services. I started this project with the hopes of being able to share how to leverage the open source community with how such information can be leveraged and tailored to the individual organization.  In order to be of any value, threat intelligence must be actionable to you/the organization otherwise its of limited value and can be a drain on resources.

I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to share what I've put together and gain feedback to make it better.  So, if you are at DerbyCon 4.0 this year, and you attend my presentation, please find me and give me your thoughts and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment